The Austrian Academy of Sciences (ÖAW) is Austria’s leading institution for science and research. The Academy´s priority is to aim at the highest level of scientific discourse and quality both as a learned society and as a research organisation. The Academy´s research institutions strive to achieve and maintain a leading position at international level in their specific fields.
The Austrian Academy of Sciences invites applications to a search for
- DIRECTOR OF THE INSTITUTE FOR THE CULTURAL AND INTELLECTUAL HISTORY OF ASIA
The Institute for the Cultural and Intellectual History of Asia (IKGA) is dedicated to the exploration of various cultures in Asia. Its mission is to enhance our knowledge in various Asia-related fields and to promote our understanding of the contacts, mutual influences and manifold developments of Asian cultures. Research is mainly conducted in the fields of Indology, Tibetology, Japanology, Chinese Buddhism, Religious Studies and Buddhology. The internationally and historically most important research focuses on the publication of important, newly recovered sources of Indian Buddhism. This specific orientation is a result of the agreement of the Austrian Academy of Sciences with the China Tibetology Research Center. The applicant must possess an outstanding competence to support and further develop the work carried out at the Institute. He/she is expected to successfully initiate third-party funding and to strengthen international ties, since both are an indispensable prerequisite for securing the long-term consolidation and further expansion of the Institute.
The director´s responsibilities include:
- continuing to develop her/his position as a leading academic researcher; including publication and securing of external funding
- setting and advancing the research strategy of the Institute
- continuing and advancing the cooperation with the China Tibetology Research Center
- leading, managing and developing the Institute to ensure the delivery of internationally-leading research
- advancing ÖAW’s commitment to the research foci by adding to the world-wide visibility of the Institute through maintaining and developing its international activities
- representing the Institute both internally and externally
The profile of this position requires:
- outstanding research record with focus on the literature of Indian Buddhist philosophy and experience in the edition of manuscripts with an excellent track record of publications in these fields
- internationally demonstrated research profile (habilitation or equivalent qualification)
- demonstrated excellence in leadership, in building and sustaining national and international research networks, and in the management of international projects
- experience in raising third-party funds
- commitment to integrative and collaborative work and capacity building
- excellent knowledge of the English language
Candidates are requested to send a cover letter including the standard documents such as CV, list of publications with reprints of the five key publications, short description of the current and/or future research activities, as well as an outlook on the potential scientific development of the Institute to the following address:
- o. Univ.-Prof. Dr. Anton ZEILINGER
- Dr. Ignaz Seipel-Platz 2
- 1010 Vienna, AUSTRIA
Applications should reach us by October 31st, 2014. Late applications may be considered until the position has been filled.
In an attempt to increase the share of women in academic leadership positions, the ÖAW especially invites female candidates to apply for the present position.
Any questions related to this position should be directed to Dr. Alexander Nagler by phone +43/1/51581/1272 or mail: email@example.com.
- For more information about the Austrian Academy of Sciences please visit the homepage http://www.oeaw.ac.at.
- Information about the Institute is available under http://www.ikga.oeaw.ac.at/ .
Link to this document in PDF format
Institute for the Cultural and Intellectual History of Asia
- Chiou, Pei-Lin
- Freschi, Elisa
- Graheli, Alessandro
- Hazod, Guntram
- Hugon, Pascale
- Kellner, Birgit
- Kintaert, Thomas
- Köck, Stefan
- Langelaar, Reinier
- Lasic, Horst
- MacDonald, Anne
- McAllister, Patrick
- Mirnig, Nina
- Munsi, Sudipta
- Muroya, Yasutaka
- Pecchia, Cristina
- Peck-Kubaczek, Cynthia
- Pickl-Kolaczia, Brigitte
- Prets, Ernst
- Rastelli, Marion
- Saccone, Serena
- Saxena, Shishir
- Scheid, Bernhard
- Schmücker, Marcus
- Steinkellner, Ernst
- Tropper, Kurt
- Williams, Michael
- Ehemalige Mitarbeiter